A Sign of the Times: Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) for Fertility
Why consider acupuncture?
Despite advances in Western medicine and reproductive technology, many women and couples have trouble conceiving. However, research and clinical experience have demonstrated that TCM can dramatically increase the chances of a having a healthy and successful pregnancy.
For women seeking natural conception, acupuncture can help:
- Correct irregular cycles
- Address endometriosis, fibroids, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Stimulate circulation to the reproductive organs
- Improve egg quality
- Balance ovulation and normalize the best time to conceive
- Maintain a healthy pregnancy once conception has occurred
For couples undergoing fertility treatments, acupuncture can help:
- Improve the quality and quantity of ovarian follicles and semen
- Enhance the health of the lining of the uterus
- Sustain male sexual health
- Reduce the side effects of Western medications and treatment cycles
- Strengthen the immune system
- Increase implantation success and reduce risk of miscarriage
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I have acupuncture if I’m undergoing fertility treatments?
Acupuncture can benefit couples just starting to attempt to conceive, as well as those already undergoing Western fertility treatments like IUI or IVF. Patients usually find acupuncture sessions both soothing and relaxing and a comforting hands-on form of supportive care.
- When should fertility acupuncture start?
Ideally, couples should plan ahead and begin treatment approximately three months before trying to conceive naturally or via other methods. With proper patient follow through, acupuncture treatments can improve follicle quality, egg quality, and overall fertility.
- How long is a course of fertility acupuncture?
In pregnancy, the cycles and health of the woman must be balanced to support a strong and healthy pregnancy. Because it takes an ovarian follicle approximately 90 days to fully develop, it also takes about three months for significant change to occur in the body.
- What about male fertility?
Acupuncture is not just for women seeking to conceive. Men can also receive acupuncture to boost sexual and overall health. According to RESOLVE, the National Infertility Association, up to 40% of infertility issues can be attributed to the male partner. Scientific research shows that acupuncture can significantly improve sperm production and quality, which can also help prevent genetic defects in a fertilized egg.
- What other methods do you use for fertility?
A true holistic approach to conception usually includes dietary and lifestyle changes. Chinese herbs may be helpful, though they are optional. As part of an overall plan, our office offers health recommendations such as breathing and relaxation techniques, exercises, and stretching. We welcome all potential parents-to-be to experience to call us for more information.